Monday, June 3, 2024

Custom Printed Fabric Start to Finish



Hey there! I recently talked on my Instagram about custom printing fabric and how some people think I should share where I get my fabric. If it's for a specific race, I'm making something exclusively for that purpose. If it's a fabric that isn't specifically for a race but I think it would make a great skirt, I don't mind sharing how I got it made.

I asked for help naming custom skirts in the Bolder Buddies Group and had a few questions about a couple of the fabrics. I messaged a few people and am now trying to make the information easily accessible for everyone. I'm happy to help you get your own custom-printed fabric! This post is from the beginning to when the finished fabric arrives at Bolder Athletic Wear.

The first thing you need to understand is seamless and repeating patterns. Knowing how to resize images in Photoshop or Corel is also important. I usually find most of my files on Etsy and Shutterstock. Today, for example, I used an image from an Etsy shop. These options are cost-effective and the files are already in jpg or png format. You can purchase your files and save them to your computer. Remember to resize your file to 2400 px by 2400 px and save it with a different name. 

Just wanted to add that some fabric designers may have their files smaller that 2400x2400, like Sophie Rae.  You will not be able to resize them up to 2400x2400.  If you do, the DPI decreases and the fabric will lose it's details.  It will be a 6.83 inch repeat and it looks great.  The scale is still fantastic for skirts and other Bolder Athletic Wear items.


When you are ready to print your file, you will go to Raspberry Creek Fabrics website.



Click on the CUSTOM PRINTING tab.   Take some time to view their videos.  It is very helpful.  You will click on the Upload and print your own designs.



Next... it will pop up and you will find the file on your computer.


I am going to look for my Manatee file.  Here you can see my original file and my resized file.  Click on your resized file.




When it uploads, it will look large.  I have my Preview Zoom set at 12 inches.  This will give me the best idea for my size small skirts.  Look at the scale.  It shows up large and the DPI is only 150.  This is way too small to print nicely.


You will have need to change the scale, down to 8 inch by 8 inch.  Then you will see the DPI change to 300.  I change the view to see how it will look.





Looks good to me.  Time to choose the fabric.  It defaults to Cotton Spandex.  You will need to click on the dropdown box.  Scroll down to Synthetic Fabric and choose Swim Knit.






Now...the amazing thing about Raspberry Creek Fabric is that they sell in Half Yard Increments.  Which means if you need one yard, you will have to add TWO to your cart.  If you need two yards for your skirts, then add FOUR.




You can continue to shop and add more files/fabric to your cart.  Since I am done, it is time to check out.



I am having this order sent directly to Bolder, so I put their zip code in for the shipping calculator.

I have my home address saved as my default because sometimes I hit a large sale and need more time to order all my skirts and tops.  I also have Bolder's Address saved in my address book.  The people receiving and opening the mail at Bolder must know whose fabric it is.  

The easiest way for me is in the "First Name" section, put in Individual Custom, and then in the "Last Name" section, I put my name.  This order included personal fabric for Sherry, I put her name in the "First Name" section.  I wanted to make sure that she had a chance to open the package and take out her fabric and put it in her stash/orders.


Complete my order and wait for the shipping notification.  I do track it to see when it was delivered.  After that, it is in safe hands. 

I do not bug them to see if they received it.  Be patient.....You will get an email with your shorts options when your order is ready to process.  The more you message, email, or call them, you are taking the employees away from their jobs.  They are trying as hard as they can to get caught up.  Please be kind, they are working with a tiny staff.

The Manatee fabric arrived safely and Sherry sent a picture so I could use it in this post.  Now to patiently wait for the shorts options and the mesh color for the tank.



Again, if you ever need my help, I am just a message away.



No comments:

Post a Comment